For centuries tea has been used in alternative medicine to treat everything from cancer to constipation and much more. Tea is becoming more and more prevalent to Western societies as researchers are continuing to uncover the many benefits of tea. You may have heard some people say “this is real tea” or “that tea isn’t real”. You are probably asking yourself “what is real tea? Aren’t they all the same?”. Purists consider real tea those derived from Camellia Sinensis plants found in parts of Asia, mainly China and India.
There are 4 types: Green tea, Black tea, White tea, and Oolong tea (anything else, like “herbal teas”, are an infusion of a different plants and isn’t technically considered tea). These teas also contain unique antioxidants, such as phytochemicals, flavonoids, and ECGC, which help fight against free radicals.
Benefits of Tea
- Protects your bones. Builds stronger bones. Studies found that people who drank tea for 10 + years had stronger bones compared to non-tea drinkers.
- Healthy teeth and gums.Don’t be fooled by England’s bad dental records, the sugar that they add to their tea may be to blame. Real tea actually contains fluoride and tannins that help to keep plaque at bay.
- Builds Immunity
- Calorie Free. Unless you add sweeteners or milk.
- Increases Metabolism. Drinking about 5 cups of green tea per day can burn 70 to 80 additional calories.
- Great for type 2 diabetics. Studies suggest that compounds in green tea could help diabetics process sugar better.
- Can boost exercise endurance.
- Hydrates the body. Despite the caffeine!
- Tea is no miracle or cure but it can reduce the risk of: Cancers such as bladder, breast, lung, stomach, pancreatic cancers. Also reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
- Improves cholesterol levels.
- Relieves stress and anxiety.
- Prevent artery clogging.
- It’s better than coffee! An 8 oz cup of coffee contains around 135 mg of caffeine and tea contains only 30 to 40 mg. Tea also gives you energy without the jitters, indigestion, headaches, and crashing that comes along with drinking coffee.
- Green tea may also provide UV protection!
Which tea to choose for what?
- Green Tea is for ENERGY and OVERALL HEALTH.
- Black Tea is for FRESH BREATH and WAKING YOU UP. (the highest in caffeine, use this to replace your morning coffee).
- White Tea is for CANCER. (most potent anticancer properties)
- Oolong Tea is for CHOLESTEROL.
- Nettle Tea is for ALLERGIES. (has antihistamine properties)
- Ginseng Tea is for LIBIDO BOOST. (yup that’s right! It boost sexual arousal and can help combat erectile dysfunction)
- Licorice Root Tea is for a SWEET TOOTH. (the root of licorice is actually an herb, not candy. It’s sweeter than sugar, but has zero calories)
- Ginger Tea is for HEADACHES and MENSTRUAL CRAMPS. (this tea is also really good for digestion)
- Kava Tea is for ANXIETY AND STRESS RELIEF.
I actually recently became an avid tea drinker. I’ve heard for years people saying that tea was amazing and can help improve health, but I always thought that they were just extremely superstitions. After trying tea and drinking it consistently I can honestly say that it’s not a fake, it’s the real deal. I have been drinking tea every day, at least once a day since the beginning of this year.
I replaced my morning coffee with a green or black tea, and depending on how my day is going will determine what other teas I drink that day. Like if I am cramping or “that time” is coming I drink Ginger tea, if I’m having a busy day I drink my Kava tea to keep me relaxed, and I usually have a cup of Chamomile tea before I go to bed to help me wind down. Already I’ve noticed a change in my health and in my focus. I haven’t gotten sick nearly as much as I did in the past, my allergies haven’t been as bad, and I’m much more alert and focused on the task at hand. I also keep energy throughout the day, rather than crashing and feeling sluggish like I would from drinking coffee.
This may seem a little strange, but I am much more peaceful and enthusiastic about life in general from drinking tea. Tea gives you a more positive energy to release back into the universe. It helps me to be more excited about my day and less moody.
My favorite teas and brands:
Twinnings Green Tea.
Yogi Ginger, Vanilla Spice, and Kava.
*A great way to add flavor is by using a small amount of honey and/or fresh lemon.
A Few Things To Keep in Mind
- Drinking hot beverages may boost your risk of developing esophageal cancer. Give your tea time to cool off before sipping it.
- All teas are not created equally. Pay attention to the ingredients and how it is processed or brewed.
- Tea may not always benefit humans to the same degree as in lab testings.
- Once again tea is not a cure or magic. While tea has been said to prevent certain diseases and illnesses you shouldn’t solely rely on tea. If you have any signs or symptoms of something that can possibly be serious you should seek medical attention. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
Are you a tea drinker? Which tea is your favorite? What do you or don’t you like about tea?
Written by: Cecily Wheeler